Has lockdown got you feeling lethargic? It may be the very last thing you want to do when you’re feeling sluggish, but regular exercise has been proven to fight fatigue and boost energy levels. Being active during the day helps you beat tiredness and enhances your quality of sleep.
Being in nature improves our health and wellbeing, so why not take it outside? With the light evenings and warm weather, it’s a perfect time to top up your vitamin D and shake off that lockdown fatigue slump.
Did you know?
- 25% of people aged 16 years and over are classed as physically inactive – that’s less than 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity a week
- 75% of boys and 85% of girls aged between 5 and 11 are classed as inactive
- There were over 11,000 hospital admissions directly attributable to obesity last year – an increase on 4% on the previous year
- People who do regular physical activity are up to 35% lower risk of having coronary heart disease and strokes and up to 30% lower risk of getting depression and dementia
To stay healthy, you should try to be active every day and aim to achieve at least 150 minutes of physical activity each week through a variety of activities.
For most people, the easiest way to get moving is to make activity part of everyday life, like walking or cycling instead of using the car to get around.
Get Active Factsheet
Physical activity produces changes in the parts of the brain that regulate stress and anxiety, helping you to switch off. Read our factsheet to find out more about the benefits of fitness on your weight, skin, sleep and mind.
Websites & Apps to help you
There are a wide range of websites and apps that can help. These include:
- NHS Choices has a range of information and support to help people get and keep fit
- One You has information and support to help people stay active
- Active 10 app helps individuals build 10 minutes of brisk walking into their routine
- Couch to 5k helps people take up running
- The Activity Alliance provides advice
August photo challenge
Well done Robert Sanderson, our July photo winner!
Don’t miss out – send us your snaps! This month’s theme is get moving. How do you like to stay active? Whether you’re walking the dog, cycling with your family or taking part in our exercise challenge included in the Get Active factsheet, attached, send us your pics!
Send your photos to: email@example.com for your chance to win a mystery prize!
“Believe you can and you’re halfway there.”